Happy Birthday to your daughter! Have fun packing. I have lived in my house for 17 years and I have no idea what I am going to do when we move in about year (that's the plan anyway). If you have any good packing tips, you must share!!
--- I should have tons, I've moved enough! Okay for starters, don't plan on moving four days before Christmas! (It can't always be helped, trust me, I know -- but it's not ideal in cold, nasty weather with holidays coming!) Now for the packing tips:
- Start early! I waited until the last minute once and it was awful! If you start early (2 weeks for me, whatever works for you, after 17 years you probably have alot more stuff than I do!) you will have time to actually sort things out and get rid of junk and avoid alot of last-minute stress!
- Throw that stuff out! If you haven't touched it in like 17 years, it's time to get rid of it! I'm a pack-rat but eventually you get tired of moving stuff you will never ever use.
- Plan ahead before actually packing -- make sure you have tons of boxes, tape, and newspaper or bubble wrap on hand (I do not recommend packing peanuts!)
- Pack knick knacks, picture frames, and non-necessity items first and in advance. You're not using them every day so why not get them out of the way and then see how things are progressing? Be sure you wrap them well to avoid broken glass/porcelain pieces everywhere.
- Fit things together like a puzzle, the more you can fit into a box (without making it so heavy it can't be lifted!) the better. Saves space and time during moving.
- LABEL EVERYTHING CLEARLY!!!! I can't stress that enough! It helps to know which boxes go in which room, which boxes are fragile, which ones are most needed, and in my case-- which ones go with us to my mom's vs. which ones go into storage. It makes a huge difference.
What else? I'm sure I have more, but that's all I have for now. Hope it helps!!