Welcome

Monday, October 19, 2009

What was I thinking?

I try to be a good mom and stay involved in my daughter's life and especially her school. Since she is only in second grade, school is the main portion of what she does anyway. I like to know her teacher and stay in constant contact. I also enjoy being actively involved in the PTA so we can make the most of the program and be aware of what is going on with PTA and with the school.

Sometimes being an active member is difficult since I'm not a stay-at-mom who can drop by the school on a whim to volunteer in a classroom or help organize an event. Therefore, I often have to say no to requests to be involved. When the PTA President mentioned the elementary school student directory, I agreed to take on the responsibility of putting it together since it could be done from home.

Little did I know the amount of time and work this directory would entail. Let's just say her school has an enrollment of 461 students. While not all of them elected to be included in the directory, it was still a major undertaking to design and layout the directory while adding about 300 names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and parent/guardian names. Needless to say, I did not do much else the entire weekend.

I finally finished my directory thanks to Microsoft Publisher (Microsoft Word was very uncooperative) and emailed the PTA President to let her know I just needed to double check everything before sending it to her. She then informed me the school decided to overlook the deadline because students were still turning them in and they didn't want to leave anyone out and she has several more forms for me. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just plugging them in due to the design, but at least the bulk of the project is finished. Now I'm just wondering what I was thinking when I volunteered to do this project.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like something I would get myself into. If they asked me and told me I could do it at home, I'd feel guilty saying no.

Hope you get it finished without too much more trouble.

Damama T said...

Good for you for being willing to do what you can. It will mean a lot when your kids are grown and remember that you were always involved as much as you could be. I also have to giggle because your story reminds me that PTA BS hasn't changed in all these years. LOL!